Convoy of Hope
The Convoy of Hope will be in Cumberland County at the fairgrounds on August 27 from 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM. Guests will be provided with free groceries, children’s shoes, a Kids’ Zone, community services, lunch, gardening supplies, veterans services, family portraits, health services, and much more!
Click here for more information: https://convoyofhope.org/events/cumberlandcounty/.
Cumberland County Commission Meeting
The August 2022 meeting of the Cumberland County Commission was held tonight with all Commissioners in attendance except Chad Norris, Rebecca Stone, and Deborah Holbrook.
During our special recognition time, I recognized students that took home awards at this year’s National Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America Convention (FCCLA) in San Diego. Several took home awards in the Students Taking Action with Recognition (STAR) event categories, including two gold awards! The following received awards:
Martin Elementary FCCLA – Advisor: Kelly Masters
- Lexi Gordon – Sports Nutrition – Gold & 1st place in the nation
- Abby Grace Lowe – Teach & Train – Gold & 2nd place in the nation
- Elmer Donis & Ebelin Vasquez – Chapter Service Project Display – Silver & placed in the top 10 in the nation
- Jillian Brown, Hannah Poore, & Amanda Robinson – Professional Presentation – Silver
- Grayson O’Neal – Focus on Children – Bronze
CCHS FCCLA – Advisor: Rachel Davis
- Jordan Kerley & Kayla Hunter – Repurpose & Redesign – Silver
SMHS FCCLA – Advisor: Lesley Williams
- Haley Simmons & Alexis Findley – Chapter Service Project Portfolio – Silver
- Payton Wyatt & Parina Patel – Entrepreneurship – Silver
- Zoe Barnwell – Teach & Train – Silver
RESOLUTION 08-2022-1 – TO APPOINT CUMBERLAND COUNTY BUILDING MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR (FOSTER)
The only resolution on the agenda for the evening was the appointment of a new Maintenance Supervisor. I recommended that John Doddroe be accepted as the new Maintenance Supervisor, and the commission confirmed in a unanimous vote. John will start work for the county in late August.
Year-end sales tax came in at $13,775,928 which is $1,089,044 above budget. Hotel/Motel taxes were above the budgeted amount of $885,712 at $1,251,071. EMS collections ended up at $4,497,735 against a $4,000,000 budget. More detailed reports should start back next month.
Thank you for being part of the solution and thank you for the opportunity to serve as your County Mayor. If you are interested in hearing my thoughts and views on news, events, and activities in Cumberland County, please subscribe to my newsletter, and follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Cumberland County Mayorhttp://allenfoster.com